Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all my scrappy pals out there in blogland!! I hope your day was filled with love, family, food, and thanksgiving! The Lord has been soo good to my family I just cannot express! We have soo much to be thankful for and it's nice to just take a day and express that thanks to Him!

Today also marks the beginning of the Christmas season!!! YAY! With all the sales going tomorrow, decorations going up, and Christmas shows and music playing I am in the full Spirit of the season!! I have decided this year I really want to show the true meaning of Christmas to my kids..... yet again.... it is soo hard as they get older to help them focus on the giving part, rather than the receiving when society and their peers are telling them they need to be asking for the latest and greatest stuff. Well, around here, it's going to be a homespun Christmas!! Now, don't get me wrong, I am sure my children will have some beautifully wrapped store bought presents under the tree, but leading into that they will help prepare many hand crafted gifts, baked goods to fill them, and decorations for our house, as well as others!

So, I thought I'd share the first gift I have completed. I made this for my DHs sister. They lost their mom quite a few backs now and I have always been soo sad I never met her. I hear them share the wonderful memories they have of her and look at all the wonderful things of this world she left behind and just know she was a beautiful woman inside and out! My SIL has soo many recipe cards because her mom liked to collect recipes. She has them stored on teh bottom shelf in a cupboard and always talks about how she just can't get rid of them, but they are useless where they are at. So I decided to help her solve this problem by making an irresistible recipe box. I know this will be the perfect thing to hold all the memories.

Recipe Box & Dividers



I was soo pleased with how this turned out!! I regret that I didn't take a before picture, but I do have a smaller version and may just take a picture of that and then update this. The wooden box I used was a plain wood color and I think it was supposed to be some sort of bug box. The cards are chipboard from Fancy Pants and 1 was created myself using a 12x12 piece of chipboard I had.



This is the front of the box. All of the papers I used are from the Domestic Goddess collection by Graphic 45. I just picked this up recently at my LSS (see side bar) and I am in love! There is soo much potential here for soo many cute projects! The letters used are this are from AdornIt.



This is 1 end of the box. Again the papers and the tag are from the Domestic Goddess Collection and the button is from Foof-A-La. They have these great sacks of buttons I picked up at my LSS and I am soo glad I did! I have used them a lot and so has DD!



This is the back of the box.



This is the other end of the box.



This is the top of the box. I fussy cut the flowers out of the patterned paper, inked and curled the edges a bit, then added the dressed button for the center. I had no idea how I was going to age up the look of this box to match the papers when I started this project..... and then it hit me..... INK! Yup, I used my handy dandy ink pad and just went to town to create the look I was content with!



These are the divider cards up close for the inside of the box. Most of the papers used are again from Graphic 45, but there are a couple of Cosmo cricket things in there too! I used a prima flower as well as a fussy cut one..... this time with the other side of the patterned paper showing. To age the chipboard, I used my ink pad. The tabs were from some ribbon scraps.

I cannot wait to give this to my SIL in the next couple weeks for her birthday... we don't do adult gifts at Christmas anymore, so she will get this soon! :0)



1 comment:

  1. absolutely wonderful altered item... i think i bought the kids those bug boxes.. what a fab idea... great detailing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sweet words - they mean so much to me!!