Sunday, September 19, 2010

Welcome To Our Home

Hi Everyone!!! Happy Sunday to you and yours! Hope you are enjoying a relaxing evening. If you are coming here tonight via Scrapbook News and Review Magazine, a special welcome and thanks for stopping by! I am still in awe that I get the honor of calling myself a staffer at the magazine. It is such a special community to be a part of and I have learned so much.

One of the things I have been really getting into lately with so much help, tips, and encouragement from everyone at Scrapbook News and Review Magazine is mixed media. I am really loving all things goopy these days and tonight I have a project featuring some masking I did with paints.

Welcome To Our Home canvas banner

My apologies for the picture not being brighter, but these days the sun has really been lacking here in Wisconsin. I AM really pleased with how the painting turned out though so let me show you how I did that.

Step 1:

I used 3 canvas banner pieces from Maya Road for this banner, my Tattered Angels glimmer screens (from the Fanciful set), some Ranger Ink, Shimmer Spritz, and Psst! from Tsukineko to add some extra sparkle.
So the first step is to arrange your chosen mask onto the canvas piece and rub your paint dabber over it. Then pick it up and move the screen to a different portion of the canvas piece and do the dabbing again. Continue this process until you have your canvas covered the way you desire.
Here is what mine looked like after I painted the mask on:

I really love this yellow shade!! So bright and cheery.

I also really like sparkle and that's when I decided to add a bit of misting to get this effect. So Step 2 is to add misting if you would like. Here is what that looked like when it was all complete:


Step 3 is to embellish away!!! This is my favorite part, I must admit, but I wanted to keep it simple so I didn't cover up my masking. Here are the individual pieces:

Welcome

I used my Martha Stewart butterfly border punch on all the pieces and then hand stitched them onto the top of the canvas. I used Maya Road chipboard letters, painted them, doodled with my white pen, and covered with UTEE to get a nice shine. The bird and tree branch are from Martha Stewart. To create the butterfly I layered some Crate Paper Restoration paper and added the top part of a Maya Road stick pin to the center for the body.

To Our

I stamped the people and the dog on the canvas with some StazOn. I am not sure I am completely sold on the people being so plain. I am thinking I need to 'dress' them. If I do I'll be sure to come back here and post it for you to see. The letters I used are from Jenni Bowlin. I cannot tell you how much I LOVE these little things!!

Home

You might be wondering why I have Loveland draped across the top of this one... well that is actually the name of our road, so I had to add it. I like to think we live in the land of LOVE! All the chipboard on this piece are from Maya Road and so is the mini Kraft ticket with the word home. I ran the tree through my Sissix Texture Boutique using a Tim Holtz woodgrain folder to give the tree some texture. The house is covered with paper for the roof and behind the window; then I painted it and added the bricks with my Sharpie. The key is embossed with gold and the apples are from October Afternoon.
Here is the full project one more time:

Thanks again for stopping by tonight and be sure you head on over to Scrapbook News and Review Magazine and visit with us. I'd love to see you there!!
Until next time, Happy Scrappin' and God Bless!
Scarlett


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this Scarlett! Thanks so much for the tutorial and the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great banner, Scarlett!

    I have this set...hmmm, I think you inspired me to break open mine and play! LOL!!
    Love the bright colors you used as the background and the great trim :0)

    Thanks for the inspiration and tutorial! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sweet words - they mean so much to me!!